2013년 2월 23일 토요일

What's Better Than Floor Heaters?

I'm going to do a quick recap of what's been going on and then jump to now. First off, we finally finished our three week orientation in Jochiwon. That orientation was for all 211 scholars in the program. I met a lot of really awesome new people, but unfortunately they all like far from my province. I still have all my UCO girls and some of my friends here with me in Jeollabuk-do, but some of my other favorites are placed all the way in Jeju. This has it's positives though. Jeju is a beautiful island off the southern tip of South Korea. Although it'll take me a plane or ferry ride to get there, it was already a predetermined vacation destination before we even moved here. It's just even cooler that we have a lot of friends on the island so they can be our tour guides when we get there! The end of orientation was sad, but we had a really great last meal for dinner the night before the buses came to pick us up. Check it out:


Yes..your eyes are seeing clearly. I've said it before, Korea serves the goofiest food combinations. Here's a perfect example. Starting with the sushi, I'll go clockwise around the plate. Sushi, traditional buffalo wings, broccoli, potato wedges, fried mandu (dumplings), some kinds of fried rice stuff, alfredo pasta and the middle is sashimi with shrimp on top. So crazy! and it's not like a huge buffet that they expect you to only get one type of thing...it's very normal to mix pasta and sushi and wings. There were also several options I didn't even want to try, but this meal was so good! They also usually have pasta or fresh fries for breakfast at the university I was staying at, and those awesome waffles for dessert. I think someone got their translations mixed up along the way. haha


Anyway, after we said our goodbyes, it was time to hop on the bus and head to Jeollabuk-do province. This will be my home until the end of July. We're staying in Jeonju for a week long orientation and then being taken to our cities and apartments on Wednesday. We arrived to our new dorms with just enough time to drop off our suitcases and head to dinner to meet with our mentor teachers at an upscale restaurant. We were all really nervous and wanted to make a good first impression. It was so nerve-racking waiting for them! It was set up in interview style at several different tables. At my table there were five TaLK scholars on one side and five empty chairs on the other side. One by one, the mentor teachers started coming in. I waited and waited...and waited for mine to show up and finally my POE coordinator came up to me and said that my mentor teacher couldn't make it. I was relieved, but at the same time I was a little disappointed because I was ready to meet her and find out some more definite plans for my time teaching in Korea. Luckily, she'll be here Wednesday because she's my ride to my new city! Looks like I'll have to save all my questions until then. Prayers for me meeting her. Apparently this is the person that will make or break your time in Korea. If they like you and you both work well together, it'll be the best time of your life, but if things don't go so hot, you're likely to have some trouble in paradise. I am not too worried about it, but prayers never hurt anyone! :) 

My new home until Wednesday. Jeonju University: The Place for Superstars

Windy day here in Jeonju! I'm still a superstar though! 



Please pause here and prepare yourself for a mid-story-worlds-greatest-invention update. Coming straight to you from Jeonju, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea....I present to you....the Chicken Soda. I'm not sure of it's real name, but I personally named it the Chicken Soda. Clever, I know. I know I've mentioned before about how awesome the floor heaters are here in Korea, but I'm sad to say that I think this little cup of heaven possibly passed the floor heaters in the race for the best crazy invention in Korea. (I know, you're thinking to yourself, "How's that even possible? Floor heaters sound so amazing and practical.") Well, ladies and gents, here it is...presenting the chicken soda combo. GENIUS! So it's a cup of soda in the bottom half and chicken on the top half. The straw goes to the bottom half and allows you to drink. Oh.my.gosh. I'm dying. I didn't try it, but you bet your bottom I will. And on top of all that, the entire combo is only about $3. What a steal! 

The view from my dorm room. It still amazes me that the cities are surrounded by beautiful mountains! 

Outside the restaurant with Brittney and Emilee


This is the restaurant we had dinner at when meeting our mentor teachers. So pretty! 



So we came home and eventually went to bed so we could wake up today and start exploring. Throughout the night, I started sneezing and got a runny nose. When I woke up, I had a full blown allergy attack. At least that's what I'm praying it is. My throat is hurting and I don't feel very good. Hopefully I didn't catch a cold! That's not how I want to spend my time in my new province. We went exploring all day and found some cool stuff. After that, we came back for dinner and decided to go out. I opted out and decided that if I wanted to explore tomorrow, I better stay home tonight and get some rest and start feeling better. Luckily for me, I have six awesome friends to take care of me and who keep checking on me and offering me medicine and tea to sooth my throat. Have a good Saturday everyone! I just found out that our coordinator wants to take us to church tomorrow if we want to go, so I'm praying I feel better by 3pm so I can make it to my first church service here in Korea! 

Here's one last picture for the road. It's McDonlad's delivery mopeds. They're everywhere. Yes, McDonalds delivers in Korea. So cool! I may take advantage of that someday just to say I did. haha It's the little things in life. 



-Kyla




댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기