2013년 5월 2일 목요일

Happy 3 Month-aversary!!!

Well what do you know, Korea and I have officially been together for three months! Seems unreal to me that I've been here for three months. And even though I really like Korea a lot, I'm looking forward to our break up on July 31st. It's been a good relationship, but I'm miss America. haha

I also miss:

  • my friends, family and boyfriend
  • Q'doba
  • Panda Express (Don't tell me I'm in an Asian country and shouldn't miss fake fast-food Chinese, I love it, okay?) (Disclaimer- I actually really do like Korean food a lot and have already talked about going to the Korean restaurants when I get back, but I love fast-food-American-Chinese food. haha) 
  • Dryers (My clothes are so stiff and gross all the time.) 
  • Mexican food in general.
  • Queso
  • Jalapeños (They have a ton of spicy stuff here, but none of it is jalapeños.)
  • Butterfingers
  • Not paying $13.00 for a normal bottle of lotion that you'd buy from Target for $3.00. YES! $13.00!!! Outrageous, right?! Somethings are so strangely expensive. Lotion being one of them. 
  • I actually don't miss driving as much as I thought I would, but I do miss my pretty new car!

With all that being said, I'm celebrating my three month-aversary by getting my hair highlighted. I'm starting to look trashy with my roots coming through, so tomorrow I'm venturing to Seoul alone to get my hair done. Scary! I'm more nervous about traveling alone to a city with over 20 million people in it than I am about getting my hair highlighted by a Korean man. I did extensive research on the topic of getting blonde highlights in an Asian country, since as you can imagine, blonde isn't the main color choice here. haha My hair guy seemed to check out though. I read several blog reviews about him and found out he studied overseas so he has a ton of foreign hair experience, speaks English, and works in Itaewon-the foreign district of Seoul. I think all of those things make for a good hair coloring time! Stay tuned for a blog on that though, it could go either way I suppose. I've heard several horror stories about girls trying to get their blonde hair done over here and it can go pretty badly sometimes. Korean hair is naturally much more coarse than Western hair, so the chemicals are so much stronger, plus as I said before, blonde isn't exactly the most popular color of choice here in Asia. I'm hoping and praying for a good hair do, but I'll be sure to take some before and after pictures!

This week I ate an octopus tentacle with some noodles and it was actually not bad. I think I'm getting the hang of this Korean thing. I also finally bought a bus card, so it's safe to say that I'm feeling pretty Korean today. haha So now instead of nervously fumbling for change when I get on the bus, I scan my card like a pro and keep walking. Funny thing about that though, I actually have only used it once. I scanned it and kept walking, feeling like a proud owner of a brand new bus card, only to have the bus driver yell something in Korean at me. Luckily for me, the nice guy behind me spoke a tiny bit of English and told me my card had an error and didn't read so I needed to try again. Embarrassing...  haha And there I was just strutting through the bus like I had done it a hundred times.

Also, remember the old ladies I befriended on the way to school a while back? Well, I took them a little snack from my house today. Koreans are always giving gifts to each other, so I figured it was only appropriate for me to give them something to show them how much I enjoyed them talking to me, (even though I still don't understand a word of it. It's kind of fun narrating our conversations though. haha) as opposed to the other end of the spectrum where they give you this death glare that basically screams, "What are you doing in my country!" That doesn't happen too often, but man, some people are really not happy to see me. Jokes on them, if only they knew I'd bring them snacks. lol So I go up to them on the way to school today and we have our normal hello time, then I tell them I have something for them (Yes, in English. haha I should have practiced that phrase in Korean..maybe next time.) So I pull it out of my backpack and they start acting like little kids on Christmas morning. They were so happy and shook my hand a million times. It was so cute. Then one of them pointed to her neck, where a necklace would be, and said something. I'm assuming she said, "Oh your necklace is so beautiful!" so naturally, I responded with thank you (In Korean this time, score!) So the other one, who's much more touchy feely, motioned me to come closer just like last time she looked at my eyes, except this time grabbed my necklace and gave it a shake, then said a bunch of things in Korean and they both laughed. I'm assuming it was more compliments on how beautiful my necklace was. haha I followed that up again with thank you (in Korean) and told them I had to go to school (in English). What fun little ladies.

Okay, that's all for now. I've gotta get some sleep so I can make it to the bus terminal and head off to Seoul tomorrow morning. I'm allowing myself a lot of extra time to get lost, just in case! Better safe than sorry, right?

-Kyla

Here's a little bonus video for you that was supposed to go in the Parting of the Sea blog post, but I forgot to post! It won't actually upload into my blog for some reason. Keeps saying there's an error, but I'll post the link! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ZnkJuT4MM



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기